Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My Life+ 2 Suitcases= Yeah Right!

You know, we spend our whole youth in school learning about the world and where we fit into it, yet I’m starting to realize how some of the things that we learned were really not applicable to our lives. I don't think that I've had any reason to use my knowledge of derivatives from A.P Calc at all since I left high school, but, I do find myself faced with a massive challenge that I was not adequately prepared for: Packing! Ugh....it sucks! Packing my life away into two suitcases is not my idea of a good time, nor is it easy by any means.

After hours spent in my room agonizing over my wardrobe, I think I have found a happy medium… maybe? It seems like everything is going to fit, but-seriously-I'm not 100% sure. I think I am going to have to find more things to weed out as the time gets closer. It doesn't seem possible since every article of clothing that I have packed now I actually wear on a regular basis. There are also things that I need to remember to bring that seem like they are unimportant, but when I get there would be something that I would want; nail clippers, for example. They may not seem important now, but 5 months without clipping my nails...ewww! I have also run into the issue of what to bring and what to buy there. Towels are not provided by my school and they suggest to bring them or buy them there, but I don't see how it is environmentally friendly for me to buy towels and throw them away after 5 months.

Also, the art of packing is no easy feat. Travel space bags, rolling my clothes, stuffing clothes into my shoes, and wearing the heaviest or the hardest clothes/shoes to pack: these are my tactics. They seem to be working, but I am open to any suggestions that anyone is willing to send my way.  I know that in Europe wearing the same clothes several times is more culturally acceptable than it is here, but I think that is going to be a hard mind set to let go of. I am so used to my routine that I think it is going to take some serious getting used to. Regardless of whether or not I can deal with wearing clothes over and over again, I am trying to prepare for all occasions and weather and it is really hard. I am packing for practically 3 seasons, which complicates things. I also am trying to think about traveling. For example, my friends and I are trying to plan a trip to Greece that requires a bathing suit. I also am thinking about hostels, which will most likely be my main form of accommodation when I am not in Bath, and you need shower shoes and a sleeping bag. Do you seem my predicament?! There is too much to think about and prepare for.

 But, I'm sure I have bored you all to death with my endless ranting. Other than packing, I haven’t really been doing much. I finally finished my student teaching application and sent it, which is a relief since it has been hanging over my head for my entire vacation. With my friends all either back at school or off in their study abroad countries, I’m feeling friend-sick. I think at this point it is almost harder to be at home than it would be to be abroad because I have nothing to focus on other than getting ready to go, and it is making me more and more anxious about going. With everything else that is going on, I’m really struggling with my enthusiasm. The excitement just isn’t there, unfortunately, and it is making it really hard to want to pack or to want to tie up the loose ends. But, just a couple of more days and I’ll be off. My next post will hopefully be from Bath, England!

I guess that is it for now. I welcome any suggestions that anyone has for me regarding packing. Trust me, anything is game!

Peace!

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've recovered from your wisdom teeth extraction with enough wisdom left to guide you in your packing. Bon Voyage...have a great, great semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! The wisdom teeth have healed, unfortunately my need to over pack has not :( Oh well!

    Hope everything is going well at SMC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Anna as the time gets near, I'm finally finding the time to sit and at least write a few lines to see you off. Probably should have tried to do this sooner seeing how our computer is on the blink.

    As usual the things at the Stamelos house are nothing short of crazy and the time is just flying by, so I have made this a priority to see you off. I'm sure you have a zillion things going on and the nerves are probably a bit frazzled as well. I don't know that I can lend alot of advice on the packing issue, as you know that was never a quality trait our family possessed! Our weekend bags are already over the limit to what your allowed to bring for 5 months! But what I can do if you have not already packed everything and still welcome some help, is put you in touch real quick with a girl whom works with me, that studied abroad in Italy last year and was faced with all the same challenges. She went at the same time you are and now knows the best way to travel so you have everything. Also the hostels are familiar to me and that is something she can shed light on, I don't know that you need sleeping bags? Also if you were traveling with a few others are there items that can be shared amonst all of you,that everyone brings one thing that you all will need while your there? As far as towels well I do think I would buy them when I was there, not expensive ones but hey say 3 towels after 5 months,well thats not going to be a waste because at that point they probably will have disinigrated!

    So as I end this for now, I can tell you that your mom and I, along with the sisters always talked about this day. Who ever would of believed it would come so soon! I know that I am not experiencing all the same things as your parents are right now with anyone leaving and traveling that far away (or even moving out!LOL) but it is still just as hard to watch you all grow up so quickly right before our eyes and watch you venture off into another chapter of your life. I am just in aw of how much you have accomplished already in just a few short years and I know you will be an outstanding teacher! Your not only smart,but a very warm, caring and compationate person,with alot of patience among so many other qualities. In the end they all add up to be the things a good teacher needs to have to make a difference in a childs life. You will leave a mark on so many children along the way,because you have what far and few teachers exploit today,the love for their job!

    I just wanted to let you know, how proud I am of the beautiful young woman you turned out to be and I wish you the best of luck in this new chapter of your career. Enjoy every minute because before you know it, you will be back on the plane coming back! Love You Anna Have Fun!
    Aunt MarMar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well everything MarMAr said I say too!!! Love You and cant wait to hear about all the adventures and rock stars and how you met the Prince etc...:0)Aunt P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, first of all MarMar, you win the award for the longest blog comment ever! Thank you so much for the good vibes your sending my way and say hello to the family!

    And Aunt Peggy....I plan on crashing the royal wedding and causing a complete uproar. The Prince will never be able to forget me :P

    Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Anna,your right, I go from I'm going to drop a short note, to I'm writting a book and trying to figure out how to get to the point. I guess I know where Allysa gets it from now.

    At this point you are probably on your way or sitting at Christophers swim meet. Probably not the best thing to tell you now but wanted you to know the thought was there anyway.

    Allysa and I were planning a last minute trip to the airport to surprise you and of course the rest of the family because as I said it was a surprise. However, after mapquesting it and realizing it was actually farther away rather than closer as I first thought,the fact that we were going to spend the night somewhere,turned out to be more than I could swing in 24hrs. as a few unexpected things came up in the meantime:(
    We did want you to know we were really excited about doing this and the thought almost came to life. It was however probably best anyway due to the fact Im sure the last moments were probably better spent with just your mom,dad and Chris. I don't think I would of wanted to take that away from them and I'm sure there were alot of tears of joy and nervousness that were meant to be shared with you guys only.

    So once again, by the time you read this, you will either be there already or just getting ready to board. Have a safe trip and make sure when you crash that royal wedding you get pictures! BTW, prince Harry is still available;) Talk to you soon, Love MarMar

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Post, I was looking for this info about this mobile for quite a while, thank you for taking the time to post this informative post. I am Subscribed to your blog now!

    ---
    plus size bathing suits - brazilian bikini

    ReplyDelete